Friday, December 4, 2009

3 People, 3 Lessons Learnt


3 People, 3 Lessons Learnt

These are my experiences as a student and as a teacher. Inspired by the Dead Poets Society, there was no better name I could think of..

To start with, the three biggest lessons I learnt and the people behind them..

1. Being more than a teacher - Mr. Keating, the teacher from "Dead Poets' Society". He is the teacher, friend and the person to whom everyone looks upto. The one who is ready to stand up for his students but at all times wishes that his students explore their real interests and live for them... Truly one teacher I would like to be!

2. Value what people have - Mr. N G Bhat, my mathematics teacher. An inspirational figure in my life... one person who valued what ever each of us could afford and glorified what ever little we could do. He was the teacher who had taught me to enjoy and appreciate what I study, the person who did things for the satisfaction rather than the benefits we get out of the results. He was appreciative of the smallest of efforts... once everyone in the class got sweets because I cracked a problem, his beautiful solution sheets (with funny comments) for the problems we put in the drop box, his special classes (I was the only student!) for 8 months to help me solve some maths olympiad paper, his vast library, encyclopedic knowledge... To put it in short no one ever has influenced me so much in my life and no one has ever made me feel so proud of whatever little I could do. What ever I am today.. I am still walking in his shadows, trying to imitate him in his clarity of thought, his insights into the subject and tenderness with which he used to handle a topic. Now-a-days after every class I am dragged into a thought of how he would have taught that... I know I can never figure that out!

3. Expectations should have boundaries, never impose them - Blessy Joseph, once my student (even now!) and now a dear friend. She wouldn't quite agree that she had taught me this but it was one of the biggest lesson from my teaching experiences. Probability is a topic of immense interest for me... and a horror show for her and the class. My drive to push the class out of misery of that mathematical dynamite pushed people to the limits of breaking down. That was a big mistake I was doing... imposing expectations! My intentions though good weren't helping much, then I had realised that if I had to impose something - I had to do so gently.

What I have experienced can never be written down, but these are attempts to acknowledge the efforts of all the people involved. I hope one day I will be a teacher I wish to be..

--buddi
1642
04 - 12 - 2009

7 comments:

  1. Hai........ im writing this on behaif of all gate students...u r one of the greatest teachers that we have ever met...in fact we like the tests only bcoz we just luv to read ur comments...........we r waiting for all the comments ur going to write wth the new pen u bought.........really u r great..... u dont realise how much inspiring u r.....u r special to us.. the best teacher and moreover the best friend we ever had...........Be our friend for ever Buddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! ur posts always manage to blow me off...
    One of the most inspirational person I have ever met "Sri Sri Ravishankar"... his funda of life is simple "Save your mind at any cost"... do not let others opinion bother you. coz in the outside world 50% of the people do not care about our problems and other 50% are happy to know that we have a problem... so why should we bother about others. Be and do want you want to...
    Nice post!!!
    u must write often

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happened to be in the last of the batches of Bhat sir. And I happened to think I was the only one to write about him. http://shyam--sunder.blogspot.com/2008/09/in-loving-memory.html

    Will look out for more of his students, in case you are in contact with them why not form a facebook group...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @buddi
    nice article ra... really liked the 3rd point... frank view of ur teaching... i know u'll make bhatt sir proud... i will be sitting in ur class someday... u won't know it... i promise... ha ha

    @shyam sunder
    u donno know me... i was n i am a student of bhatt sir... doesn't matter first or last... wanted to tell u... do not advise to write abt bhatt sir just bcoz u hav done it... everyone is free to pay tribute in their own way n each is as good as the next one... to his students, realization of bhatt sir's value in their lives mite come over course of time... it has come to u n u have written abt it... good for u... for some it mite have come way earlier... but they haven't blogged yet for their own valid reasons... n some mite realize over the next donno how many years... they mite or mite not blog... its entirely one's choice... so instead of us getting into this who posted how many posted where posted thing... whenever we realize his value, from then on atleast we must try to imbibe the man n what he stood for into our lives and if possible to inspire others... bhatt sir would be proud of us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @buddi:very nice ra buddi, we know u (are) will be a good teacher

    @uday: last line....that u will be in buddi's class....i will be ur benchmate, just like we were in school

    ReplyDelete
  6. @uday: I was just looking out to discover what memories of sir others treasure. Treasure it your own way, but I am not forcing others to write/blog.

    As you said, it will take time to realize as there is a small lesson YOU missed all these years: humbleness while talking to strangers/ex-students. Also, try to actually understand what others are saying before you waste all your energy in typing long comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @purri
    abbe salle apan pakka class attend karenge... n if any exams are there salle don write answers like in school days... kameeney remember...

    @shyam sunder
    hey... you are vindicating what i meant... thnx very much... am happy u got the point...

    ReplyDelete